If you've been following our pressure washing "How To" series, your driveway and deck and siding should be spotless. Now it's time to tackle your patio furniture. After months in storage or exposure to the elements, those tables and chairs can get pretty grimy. So here's how to pressure wash your patio furniture to keep it looking its best.
1. Connect your pressure washer to your all-purpose cleaner and spray your furniture working from the top down.
- Aluminum or plastic: When removing mold, mildew and dirt, spray the furniture using low or delicate pressure. Rinse with water and let dry.
- Wicker furniture: Check to make sure any painted wicker furniture isn't flaking then use a low pressure spray to clean off mold, mildew and dirt.Afterwards, let it dry completely as wet wicker can easily warp.
- Wood: Pressure washing may damage some types of wood, so wipe it down with a cloth soaked in warm, soapy water. This should get rid of most mold and mildew marks from your wood furniture without destroying it permanently. To remove tougher mold stains on wood furniture, use half a cup of Zep Commercial Mold & Mildew Stain Remover mixed with warm water and gently scrub with brush. Let it dry a minimum of 24-36 hours. Note, you should only use a mold and mildew stain remover on wooden furniture if you plan to paint or refinish it.
2. Prevent mold and mildew. Apply a mold inhibitor to your furniture to protect against antimicrobial growth.
3. Apply protective coating. For added shine on aluminum furniture, apply a high-quality car wax. Polish wicker furniture with a general household paste wax or paint it with urethane to protect it from the elements. Apply a protective coat of specially-formulated oil or other type of finish to wood furniture.
4. Clean stains from cushions and other upholstery items separately. Unsightly spots can be tackled with a stain remover, such as Zep Commercial Advanced Oxy Carpet & Upholstery Stain Remover. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's directions for proper cleaning.
Summer storms are notorious for leaving dirt and dust behind, so if at any point your furniture needs sprucing up, just repeat these steps to Clean Like A Pro™ and get it back in top shape in no time!